Learning English is not so difficult and impossible as it may seem at first glance. In order to achieve the desired success, it is necessary to properly organize the workflow and to avoid common mistakes. In this article we will discuss the reasons why even the most diligent people don’t achieve good results.
Too high expectations
Unfortunately, today each of us affects advertising, which is mostly quite absurd. In your city opened a new «super school foreign language», which promises to significantly improve your level in just a couple of weeks? It is not necessary to believe such sweet lies: for a short time you will not be able to learn neither English nor German nor Chinese. To bring your knowledge up to a decent level from scratch is possible, at least 1 year of enhanced training.
Wrong goal setting
If you learn the language just because it is fashionable, or «English way», then you will not be too strong motivation. The real aim is the study of language to obtain new and more promising job, a complete change of qualification, admission to a prestigious institution (e.g. abroad), and travel. You should clearly understand what benefits you will bring new knowledge.
Focus on grammar
The most popular and dangerous mistake. Studies show that too much studying grammar only has a negative impact on verbal abilities. Why? English grammar can be challenging for logical understanding, and communication in real time is very fast. It turns out that you will not have enough time to remember the hundreds of memorized rules just in order to speak. It is advisable that you mastered English grammar at a subconscious and intuitive level. The best way is to actively communicate with foreigners and listen to correct English speech.
The study only official English books
This training approach is justified only in the case if you are going to pass a serious international test. If you need just greatly improve your own knowledge, don’t forget about other methods. Native English speakers in communication almost never use arcane phrases that you can find in serious books. If you want to succeed, do not forget about learning idioms, phrasal verbs and even slang.
Too strong commitment to the ideal
And teachers, and their students are often too hung up on mistakes and get upset because of them. Alas, trying to get closer to the ideal, you forget that even native speakers admit in his speech inaccuracies. Instead of dwell on the negative, focus on the process of communication and language learning. Your goal is to learn how to transfer own thoughts in such a way that they are understood by surrounding people. Over time, you will cease to prevent the same mistakes.
Hope for schools and Tutors
Many people who study English, over-reliance and even shift the responsibility for teachers or courses in language schools. This is absolutely wrong. First and foremost, everything depends on you. A good tutor only provides necessary assistance. You need to exercise every day, even if your teacher has not assigned homework. Only you can force yourself serious study.
The study of individual words
Instead of studying individual lexical units need to focus on memorizing ready-made phrases. As do small children. Remember, you’re not learned in childhood constructions like «do-did-done»? Right, you immediately remembered phrases, or even sentences. Actually, it’s quite simple. Best assistant – reading.
Insufficient consolidation of the material studied
In the study of any language should follow the rule of «less, but better». If you believe the phrase you learned yesterday, you can remember after a month, most likely, is misleading. Unused and unclaimed information our brain throws it out. It would be great if you find the time to have studied a few times with a certain interval. For example, the first repetition through the day, the next 3-4 days and another a week later. This technique will allow us to consolidate the important knowledge in long term memory and easily «get» them from there if necessary.
Many fans, particularly rapid methods of studying of foreign languages claim that to begin to speak English must have from the first class. Now imagine: a kid who just started getting acquainted with the speech of others, are immediately forced to talk. It is unlikely that this will come something sensible. Without certain knowledge you will not get anything except frustration. That is why competent Tutors focus student’s attention on listening to the audio recordings prepared by native speakers.
Absenteeism, the lack of specific teaching methods, constant changes of Tutors – at that rate, you’ll be able to quickly and qualitatively to learn English. First, you need to plan your own time. If you decide to learn by yourself, try to make the lessons were at least 3-4 times a week. Better – every day. Otherwise, tangible progress will be difficult. Secondly, sign schedule with the exact time of beginning and end of the lessons. Identify short-term goals you intend to achieve in language learning. Stick to the plan and do not miss classes.
Lack of concentration on pronunciation
That the pronunciation of English and Russian languages differ, heard every. You can perfectly know grammar, to possess a good vocabulary and even be able to apply the acquired knowledge in practice, but… to speak with a terrible accent. The reasons for this unfavorable phenomenon can be weight: the selection of incompetent tutor, insufficient allocation of time to practice the pronunciation, ignoring audio courses lack of live communication in English… the Main problem is that over time to eliminate errors of pronunciation becomes more difficult.
The reluctance to read in English
Yes, read foreign Newspapers, magazines and books – quite a difficult task. But there is no need for you to understand every written word. It is important to understand the General meaning of the text and learn to identify the meaning of lexical units in context. Regular reading will help you not only expand your vocabulary but also learn how to build your own speech. Without noticing, you will learn more than a dozen rules of English grammar. Do not pass up cheap (or even free) variant practices.
Popular mistakes that beginners make
Finally, we will focus on the most common defects. We highlight the main mistakes that one can make a wish to master English.
- The confusion in the pronunciation of short and long vowel sounds.
- Problems in pronunciation of diphthongs (for example, the replacement of the normal vowels).
- The pronunciation of the combination “th”. It is often speak Russian as a «z» or «C», which leads to the appearance of ugly accent. Surprisingly, some learners of English seems awkward to correctly pronounce this combination of letters.
- Stunning consonants in the end of a word (as in Russian).
- Wrong accent. This problem often appears if we are talking about polysyllabic words. It is also worth considering that at the same writing a word can belong to different parts of speech. Its pronunciation may vary considerably (as in the words of progress , protest , export , etc.).
- Problems with the proper production of tone. Especially brightly it is reflected in the tag-questions.
Thus, problems with correct pronunciation of the English language is largely due to the fact that the student is focused on their native language.
Other popular errors
- Problems with the use of various verb tenses. It is not only the wrong timing for a particular situation, but incorrect use of auxiliary verbs.
- Replace adjectives with adverbs, and Vice versa. In the proposal book That is good newbie may accidentally use the adverb well, as in the example She reads well – the adjective good. To get rid of these errors is possible only after a while, examining in detail each example. Right here you may appreciate the analogy with the native language.
- Incorrect use of articles. In English there are only two – the and a(an). The definite article the is used, if it is familiar to the reader/interlocutor or the subject of a unique phenomenon (e.g. the sun). The indefinite article a is used when people are talking about something unfamiliar, uncertain. By the way, many beginners forget that the article an is used only in combination with nouns that begin with a vowel sound.
- Confusion with the English prepositions. Again, this difficulty is due to the fact that the rules of the use of prepositions in all languages are different. In English the preposition in is used to denote an enclosed space and a certain amount of time (in the room, in the evening). At is used to denote the exact time and place (at school, at 8 p.m.). On – preposition, which is used to indicate the time (week day) or surface (on Monday, on the floor).
- Wrong order of words in a sentence. Typically, such a mistake admit it beginners. We must remember that in the English language in any case, applies the predicate, even if the translation into Russian is missing (I am 20 years old).
- The use of the verb in the third person singular. No matter how much I tell beginners that after he, she, it must use the verb with a particle of s, they still sometimes forget about it. Such a mistake is found even among more experienced students.
Thus, on the way to the top of the English language every person can have many completely different errors. And there is nothing to be ashamed of: they are not allows only the one who does nothing. Of course, it would be great if in overcoming difficulties have helped you a sensitive and experienced teacher. To cope with the problems by yourself is possible, but this process will take a little more time.