English language courses – a great way to improve their level of knowledge. In order to get the highest possible result, you need to choose the right company that offers such services. Today we will try to figure out how to find a really worthwhile language school and professional teachers.
The purpose of the study
First you should decide what you want to learn English. Depending on the choice of courses. Consider the most popular options offered by most organizations:
- Classical courses. This type of training allows you to gradually improve your knowledge and attention to every aspect of a foreign language. The teacher does not focus on vocabulary, grammar or phonetics, and tries to develop the equivalent skills of students.
- Spoken English language courses. Suitable for people who wish to learn to communicate fluently with someone in person or over the phone. In the learning process, the teacher focuses on the development of communicative skills. A lot of time on creating situations for students to listen to the audio recordings. A good school will offer you to chat with native English speaker.
- Specialized courses to prepare for international exams. If you wish to continue studies in another country or thinking about moving, you’ll have to pass one of these tests: IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, GMAT, GRE, etc., Many language schools offer students courses aimed at preparation for a particular exam.
- Business English courses. In the learning process, the teacher will introduce you to the rules of business etiquette will help to Supplement vocabulary appropriate terms, to teach the right way to make letters. As a result of the quality of the course you will be able to communicate freely with foreign partners and successfully manage their own Affairs.
- Intensive English language courses. Designed for people who wish to learn English in a short time. Classes are held 5-7 times a week. Schools offer students longer lessons.
- Technical courses for certain professions. These classes allow you to study the terminology used in the field of medicine, journalism, law, etc.
English language courses: teaching methods
The modern market of English language courses offers both traditional and alternative teaching methods. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.
1. The classical or method level. Training is based on the principle of dividing the material into six levels (Beginner to Advanced). This approach is most effective, because the student can devote sufficient time to all aspects of the language. He will learn to freely Express their own thoughts, to speak without a significant accent, to write correctly and to perceive the interlocutor’s speech. As a rule, completion of one level takes 3 to 9 months of hard work. Therefore, you will be able to learn English from scratch for 2-2.5 years.
- The duration of training. Not suitable for people who wish to learn the language in a short time.
- The lack of a large number of language practice. As a rule, begin to communicate fluently in English, you can just the 3rd level («Below average» — Pre-Untermediate), that is, a few months later.
- Big cost. The higher the duration, the more money you have to pay for tuition.
2. Azurewave technique. This option is worth to stay at if you have no time for a comprehensive study of the English language. Such techniques are often referred to as communicative. In the process of learning the teacher will focus on the development of communication skills. First you will learn how to correctly create sentences to carry on a conversation with other participants, and then even be able to think in English. Another advantage of such classes is that they are much more interesting than traditional lessons.
- For a few months to thoroughly learn a language is simply impossible. You just learn to support oral communication with foreigners.
- Weak knowledge of grammar. In such a short period of time you will be able to see only with the basic rules of the English language. It’s not enough to, for example, to pass international exams.
- A limited vocabulary. A lot depends on what level English you have come to the language school. Beginners will learn from the first lesson to communicate in English, but their vocabulary will differ considerably from more advanced learners.
How to choose English language courses?
Having defined the purpose and methods of education, you can begin to search for a suitable language school. Selecting more options, ask, offers this organization a free lesson. Please note! A trial lesson is a lesson, which takes place in the group of students who are already enrolled in the selected school. Open lesson held exclusively for new students. Should give preference to the first option, which will help you to assess the quality of teaching and learning methods.
The requirements for teachers
1. The availability of specialized higher education. Be sure to ask potential teachers to show you the document of graduation in the specialty «teacher of English». Many schools offer services to the students of teachers who have not yet received a diploma. Try to avoid such courses.
2. The presence of own methodical developments. A good teacher devotes a sufficient amount of time research activities. Interested teacher certainly is the author of several books or manuals for learning English.
3. The use of different teaching methods. Find out which textbooks are used by a specific teacher. A qualified specialist prefers books written by foreign authors. Not welcome one-sidedness in education: a wise teacher tries to use the advantages of different techniques and knows how to combine classic and modern approaches.
4. The presence of a large experience. Find out how many years the teacher has worked in the chosen school, what he did before. Parallel work in a good University is a big plus, which speaks about the professional experience of the teacher.
5. The ability to present the material. Visit the free class, you will immediately understand whether you fit this teacher. Note how he explains the rules, makes work on mistakes. It is important that he did it all competently and, at the same time, simply and clearly as possible.
6. The friendly attitude of the students. Only a pleasant atmosphere conducive to effective group work. A wise teacher will let you feel as free in the new team.
The number of people in the group
The optimal number of students who attend from 4 to 8 people. In a small group you will be able to develop communication skills. Also, many students note the appearance of additional motivation: they want to achieve results faster than others do.
If you are going to take an international exam, prefer mini-groups up to 4 people. In this case, the teacher will be able to devote sufficient time to each student.
What should not be English language courses
How to avoid mistakes in choosing a language school and not become a victim of fraud?
1. The first sign of bad schools is the absence of state registration of the organization.
2. Alarming contract. When signing the contract you should be very careful. Find out if you are eligible to get the money back in the event that if you suddenly have to stop training.
3. After talking with people, you find out that they’ve never heard about this school. On the Internet there is also no information about the organization. Not worth the risk: give preference to well-known schools that there are at least a few years.
4. The teacher is not offering you to diagnose the level of knowledge. From the outset, the teacher needs to understand what knowledge gaps you have. It is unacceptable that in one group studied people with very different levels of language proficiency. In the future this may lead to problems and misunderstandings.
5. Fraudulent English courses will force you to pay for all the training. Remember: good schools offer weekly or monthly payment. If you do not like it, you will be able to graduate without financial loss.
6. If you decide to study at a language school long enough to figure out in advance will present you a nasty surprise in the form of a change of teacher in next semester. The entire course should to a teacher, to which you have become accustomed. In fact, it is possible that after a qualified candidate to you for a lesson will come an illiterate person without a diploma.
Find a good English language courses is quite simple. The main thing – to trust only reliable recommendations, and to exercise maximum caution when signing agreements. We wish you success!