You know the situation when deciding to learn English, you are wondering What courses to choose? What to pay attention? Is it possible to learn the language without attending courses?
Before answering these questions, we first need to decide what purpose you have decided to learn English. To identify a specific goal is not always easy – often dominated by the desire to speak English. Someone needs it just to show off a couple of common phrases that someone wants to chat on holiday abroad with the locals, and someone on the nose serious exams, someone to lead business correspondence with foreign business partners, and someone can’t wait to read Shakespeare in the original. From proper goal setting depends on the optimal method and the method of learning a language, which is best suited for you.
Decided on a goal? Now let’s look at the various ways of learning English, find out what advantages and what disadvantages of each of them.
Ways of learning English
Currently there is a huge amount of tutorials in English language, with which you can learn the language anywhere and at any time convenient for you. Includes educational printed publications, audio and video lessons, as well as multimedia and online programs that combine all kinds of lessons – text, audio and video.
- You are planning the time and duration of lessons.
- Accessibility. Many tutorials are offered online for free.
- A variety of learning materials. You can study in several textbooks that take into account different aspects of the language: grammar, vocabulary, idioms, correct pronunciation, etc.
- Even the most perfect program will not replace live communication. Without the use of knowledge in practice is extremely difficult to learn English.
- For self-study language of possible errors, for example, in pronunciation or use of grammar. Without a competent mentor their own shortcomings may be possible, and further the erroneous phrase is fixed on an automatic level.
- In the learning process will inevitably arise various questions. In the self-study, you will have to look for answers, wasting a certain amount of time.
- Individual approach. The entire learning process is based on the specific purpose of learning the language that you have set for ourselves.
- You get answers to all the questions in the learning process. The tutor can explain the strange grammatical rule or regulation of the use of a word.
- Training of conversational skills with a teacher — have the opportunity to put into practice the knowledge acquired.
- The limitations of live communication, so as to speak in class, you will only tutor.
- Services individual learning are much more expensive than group lessons.
- There is a risk of unfair choose the tutor who does not speak the language at a professional level.
English language courses
- A convenient schedule. You can choose the best time of classes on the basis of proposed schedules.
- The communication in the group gives a wonderful language practice.
- An additional incentive is an element of rivalry, competition. We always want to be better than others and that will spur you to a more thorough study of the language.
- A clear focus of the course. You can choose a course that meets your goals – for tourists, for business, conversational English, etc.
- Payment from all of their classes forward is an additional incentive not to miss classes.
- Accessibility. Hour group lesson is much cheaper than 1 lesson from a professional tutor.
- According to sociologists and educators, group form of teaching English is the most preferred. Group lessons allow you to learn better the rules of the language, and live chat allows you to quickly learn the practical application of knowledge.
- Of the disadvantages of English language courses students most often indicate that those who quickly master the subject, you have to wait for the others. Although substantial it is not a disadvantage – there is a good opportunity to consolidate the material.
- In addition, courses will have to go, but it is not always close to home. But the result is worth it. Moreover, in the way you can repeat the passed material and to tune in to the classes.
Before you register for classes, you need to decide: what kind of English courses to choose from and these courses can give you? To achieve this goal at your disposal is the search engines or aggregators are specially created courses that use dozens of different filters for easy search according to criteria you specify. Using them, you can easily find English language courses in Moscow or another city, as well as online courses with the possibility of remote training.
Variety of English language courses on the content of training programs
1. The General course. This is the most concise and comprehensive English course. As a rule, the overall program involves the use of traditional or proprietary methodologies for foreign language teaching aimed at a comprehensive study of all aspects of language: phonetics, vocabulary, grammar.
2. Business English courses. Otherwise, such courses can still be called «Business English, English for business or English for business people». As the name implies, the General focus of these courses is business theme. That is, in the process of training students get acquainted with special terminology in the English language, learning how to build and lead a business conversation, given the generally accepted rules of etiquette, business letters and properly arrange the letters, presentations in English and more associated with business activity.
3. Conversational English language. This is the most popular program among students. These courses usually do not delve into studying grammar, giving only basic it knowledge, but a large emphasis is placed on vocabulary and common phrases. Students learn to conduct a conversation on a variety of topics: how to introduce yourself, how to order a plane ticket or a hotel room, how to ask directions, or how to communicate in a store, a Bank, theatre, market etc.
4. Courses aimed at exam preparation. These courses allow students to prepare thoroughly for these exams like KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, GRE, etc. As a rule, the program focuses on a thorough study of grammar and vocabulary. Taken into account and the specifics of a particular exam. If we are talking about the test format, the courses will teach how to work with tests. If you intend writing a summary or essay in the classroom will be practiced it is a form of testing.
We operate courses aimed at preparing for the unified state exam or entrance exams in English in Russian Universities. The main feature of these courses is that they studied the examination material of the past. That is, you can practice the exam in conditions similar to real ones: for example, to be tested on the exam.
5. Courses in occupations. On the courses great attention is paid to studying special professional vocabulary. Thus, there are courses that offer learning the terminology, which is used in the field of jurisprudence, medicine, literature and journalism, in Commerce and agriculture, in the automotive industry or Maritime business. A special kind of courses offers a study of technical English language that needs to know those involved in high technology and whose work is connected with technology.
Visit the courses gives you the opportunity not only to successfully communicate with colleagues from abroad, but also to study the specialized literature, which in most cases is published in English and to attend international forums and conferences.
6. English for kids. The selection of English courses for children in a separate category rather arbitrary, because this category involves activities for the little ones in the form of a game, courses for students, it involves the tightening of curriculum and coaching to pass exams, testing in a Lyceum or gymnasium, as well as activities for the overall development.
Types of courses English language duration of training and training time
1. The usual rate. Training time depends on the specific course and how much time per week classes. Experts recommend courses, which provided two sessions per week, lasting at least 6 months.
2. Express courses. These courses can last from two weeks to one month. Such courses are popular with those who are going soon to go abroad, or among people who want in the shortest possible time to pull up your knowledge in English.
3. Weekend courses. These courses are suitable for those who do not expect quick results and are perfect as extra classes for students.
The types of English language courses at the venue of
1. Courses in English language schools. The most common type of courses, when systematic classes are invited to visit the school or specialized center for the study of language. This is the best option, because these classrooms are equipped with all the technical means and materials, necessary for learning.
2. Corporate courses (in the workplace). Courses are convenient because classes are conducted in the workplace. Most of these classes organized by the administration of the company, which employees are required to speak English.
3. Online courses. A convenient form of courses, for those who do not have the opportunity to attend school. Training is carried out using a computer connected to the Internet. This can be a training through Skype or on the school website in real communication.
4. Courses in the target language country. Many schools organize special courses that allow you to learn the language, living in a country where this language is official. The method is very effective, but quite expensive, both in time and means.
What to pay attention when choosing courses
If you have set a goal to learn English and to choose the most appropriate courses, pay attention to several conditions:
1. The professionalism of teachers. Well, if the teachers have diplomas certifying their qualification. Professional English teacher is best able to explain the rules of use of words, idioms, grammatical structures.
2. The number of students in the group. The optimum number of trainees should not exceed 7-10 persons. Otherwise the teacher will not be able to give attention to each.
3. The distance courses. Analyze how much time you will spend on the road, can always to be on time for classes.
4. The certificate authorizing the teaching activities of the school or center. Thus, you protect yourself from the risk of circulation to Amateurs.
5. Tuition and payment options. As a rule, all courses must be paid wholly in advance. In this case, specify how to compensate for the money spent, if you miss classes due to illness.
6. Find out which teaching methods teachers use. The choice of method will of course depend on the direction of the course. It is best to visit the free trial lesson to determine whether you are satisfied with the method and form of training. Good, quality courses offer this service. For more detailed explanations about the method and training programs, you can refer to the teacher or to the administration of the training center.
No matter what English courses you choose, remember that the most important condition for language learning is only the desire to learn and diligence. Even the most highly qualified teachers will not be able to help someone who makes no efforts. Strong desire to achieve clearly defined goals will make the learning process easy, interesting and allow you to achieve good results.